Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf

Sometimes when I disagree with the reviews that I have seen elsewhere I really wonder what it is about a book that I don't get (or DO get) in comparison to most people. And then I begin to question myself and my opinions. I know that I am not good at detecting "well-crafted" writing, since I never seem to see it in the books that others describe as such.

At any rate, I enjoyed this book. I don't know if it is "well-crafted" or not, but it pulled me in and I finished it in a single day. It is historical fiction and deals with what happened to Lidice in the Czech Republic (then Czechoslovakia) during World War II. One of Hitler's favorite commanders was attacked in Czechoslovakia and eventually died. Hitler falsely believed that the instigators of the attack were people from Lidice, so he rounded up all of the people in the village, separated the women and children and sent them to a nearby school, and then shot all the men and teenaged boys. Some of the children, specifically those with blond hair and light colored eyes, who conformed to the Aryan ideal, were sent to Lebensborn camps to be trained to be perfect Germans. This is a story about what might have happened to a girl who was sent to such a camp and then later adopted into a German family.

Although the story is fiction, it is based on historical evidence and in fact parallels in some respects the story of one of the survivors of the experience, as is detailed in the author's note at the end.

I found the story interesting and absorbing. It would make for a good discussion with kids, as in some respects you actually begin to feel sorry for the Germans and especially the German mother and sister. In your mind, you KNOW you shouldn't accept the racism and racial hatred they evidenced, but nevertheless, it becomes tempting, as the young girl feels it, to believe that it really isn't all that bad -- until the evidence emerges.

Another chapter in the World War II genre - recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment