Thursday, June 27, 2013

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

This review was originally published on my other blog in 2007.

I don't know how many times I have read or listened to this, but each time, I am struck anew by the power of the story for me. There are so many questions I have. Do we have the right to survive as a species at any cost? Do we have the right, as adults, to make children do our bidding, even when it involves murdering a whole race and destroying an entire planet? And more specifically, was Graf right? Would Ender have refused to do his task if he had known what was really at stake? Should he have been given the choice?

I am massively conflicted by my own answers to those questions. And I guess therein lies the power of the story. Many of the books that linger in my mind have great moral dilemmas and this book is one that brings the moral dilemma in extremely sharp focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment