Monday, June 24, 2013

A Girl Called AlA Girl Called Al by Constance C. Greene

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I remember reading this when I was younger and enjoying it.  I am interested in the unspoken messages that might not be obvious to readers of the target ages, but which almost seem didactic to the older reader.  I wish I liked the girls more. 

And, later, upon reflection:  There are some obvious markers that this book was written a long time ago.  Al, chubby at the start of the book, puts on even more weight, in order to gain the attention of her mother, but then, as a happy resolution, she loses 100 pounds.  And both girls, according to the grandfather figure, are on their way to becoming pretty, an all important quality.  The death of the grandfather figure brings about the resolution of Al's relationship with her father, acceptance of neglect, but it brings her mother closer.  And, in all honesty, I am not sure how I feel about all of this.  The semi-happy ending is realistic enough to be believable, but, as a person who struggles with weight control, I think the easy loss of 100 pounds is a bit TOO easy.  And I wish there had been some goal other than being pretty. 

The interest in building bookshelves was a bit too obvious as a plot device, although I remember being in exactly the same position when I was in junior high.  My homeroom was in the shop and I wanted to take shop, rather than cooking and sewing, but it wasn't allowed.  The girls had to learn to cook and sew ugly box-pleated skirts, while the boys learned to make bird-houses and lamps. 

I still think the book is worthwhile enough for current upper elementary kids, but a discussion of the differences between now and then is probably warranted.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment