Wednesday, June 26, 2013

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

I seem to be reviewing a lot of books tonight that are the third or fourth book I have read by the author, but I liked the books I read earlier better. This one is a case in point. Looking for Alibrandi and Saving Francesca were great. I love the feelings demonstrated by the family members for each other. This book is actually no exception to that. The family and friend interactions are very life affirming to me.

The thing I struggled with in the book though, was simply understanding the interweaving stories - two relating to the past and one in the present. I think that was the intention - that you would gradually become aware of how the stories interconnect and the impact of all of it would hit you and you would say, "WOW! That is amazing! What powerful storytelling!" Only that never happened with me. I just felt confused and a bit betrayed, as if the author was purposely trying to confuse me, so that I would think of how clever the story was when I finally understood it.

Sorry, this one wasn't for me as much as the other two.

No comments:

Post a Comment