Thursday, June 27, 2013

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling

This was originally published on my other blog on 22 July 2007.

I have just finished the book, so I still kind of emotionally caught up it in. Since there are a lot of people still reading it, I don't think I will talk about plot or include spoilers just yet. Instead, a brief summary of my reactions. I thought the plotting of the book was well done. It was complicated and at times felt a bit too convoluted, but I think it worked. And, for me, at least, it was definitely exciting.

I am one of those people who have to read the ending of the book in order to be able to read the rest of it - otherwise it makes me too nervous and I don't even WANT to read it, because of the anxiety it is causing me. So, I knew how it ended, even before I had read too far into the beginning of the book. I really am glad I did, as I know I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I hadn't. And I really did enjoy it.

The only critique I have of it is that sometimes it felt like she was doing too much summarization and re-explanation of earlier happenings in the course of the 7 books. Some of that was necessary, I guess, but some of it felt a bit forced.

Still, I am immensely glad I liked the book. I have been such a fan for so long, it would have been sad if I hadn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment