Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Quest for Understanding Quality in Literature

For quite a while now, at least several years, I have been trying to understand what makes a book "quality literature", especially with reference to upper elementary and young adult books, which seem to be my primary interest. I have joined and left several online news groups and I remain a member of 3 of them now, whose attention is focused on discussing these books. Two of those groups are composed primarily of teachers, librarians, and authors, who are, presumably the ones who understand this literature the best and who can provide in depth, critical analysis of those books. The third group is made up of adults who simply enjoy discussing the Harry Potter books.

And yet, when any given book comes up on the two professional groups, there are, in most cases, at most 20 posts regarding the book. Many of these posts are of the nature of "I really liked/disliked this book, it was better/worse than his/her last book. I thought the main character was appealing/whiny/unrealistic. The book reminds me of X/Y/Z book, which does {genre} better/worse."

The non-professional group, which discusses the Harry Potter books, is now up to message number 182,288. Recent posts have discussed the issue of house-elf enslavement - its morality and its implications; the sacrifice of one boy to save the world - again, morality and implications; the origin of the names Antioch, Cadmus, and Ignotus (the Peverell brothers) and their mythological significance.

Now, admittedly, the Harry Potter books number 7 plus the two textbooks, so if we divide the 182,288 by 9, we only get 20,000 posts per book. Still, that is considerably more per book than most of the books discussed on the professional groups. I also concede that with hundreds of books to discuss, there really isn't time to discuss them in the same depth as people who are interested only in the HP books can discuss. And yet, the thing is that, on the professional groups, the Harry Potter books are not considered to be very high quality literature. These books have outsold most other books besides the Bible, but that is dismissed (just marketing); they have inspired high quality discussion (people with too much time on their hands). But when I ask on the professional groups why they think HP books are just hype, the only thing that I get is that the writing is "B Grade". For example, in the first books, she uses the grammatical construct "s/he said {adverb}" too much. This is true, but I must admit that I never noticed it until they pointed it out. And if that is all of the criticism they can offer, it is a bit insubstantial in my eyes.

None of this would bother me, I am obviously a fan of the Harry Potter books, except that I am trying to understand what professionals regard as excellent writing. Since they have dismissed books that have evoked massive interest, what is it that they are looking for that is better than huge popular appeal and critical adult interest? So far, I haven't found all that much. Effective use of metaphors is one thing that is mentioned. Other than that, it seems the evaluations are very personal. Some like elaborate descriptions, some don't. Some like off beat characterizations; some find them annoying or unrealistic. Some like tight plotting; some dismiss plotting almost entirely.

So, I am gradually coming to the opinion that I am going to have to search for my own definition of quality in literature. One thing I know is that I enjoy books/movies that have some sort of moral dilemma, preferably one where the solution isn't entirely clear, even after you have finished the book. Was it right for Dumbledore to plan to sacrifice Harry and hope that it would work out? Was it right for Ender to be duped into wiping out an entire race of sentient beings? Was is right for Will Hunting to leave a promising job to go in search of Skyler? What should be done with/for geniuses of Will Hunting's caliber?

I will leave grammatical analysis to the professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment