Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Multiple Titles

Sometimes, for some reason, I seem to just stop wanting to read. Books just don't appeal to me during these times. Fortunately, (or unfortunately, if you look at my expenditures and excess accumulation of books) it doesn't last too long, and I am back reading again.

This past weekend, the opposite of a reading lull struck when a package from Amazon finally got here. Now, 7 books and 3 audiobooks later, I am catching up here.

It has been such a long time since I have wholeheartedly enjoyed a children's book. Part of the reason is that I don't especially like too much "teen-y" stuff, which seems almost obligatory according to some of the members of Adbooks. For instance, I didn't like Tyrell, partly because of the frequency of casual sex in it. Yes, I know, it is probably very realistic, given that it is set in the poorest parts of a big city. So I am glad people think it is good fiction, as kids need fiction that helps them reflect on their lives as they really are. But that still doesn't mean I have to personally enjoy reading it. And I didn't. I finished it, but I have decided that I probably should focus a bit more on books designed for a slightly younger audience. I am tired of dire things happening: messy divorce, parental abuse, casual sex, death of a close friend/family member. It isn't that I want to ignore these things. I just want normal growing up things to happen and be the focus, too. That brought me to some of the books that I have read just recently.

The reading frenzy started with:

The Rising Star of Rusty Nail by Lesley M. M. Blume

Part of the appeal of this book for me is probably the setting: rural Minnesota, far from city life. I grew up in semi-rural Iowa, taught school in small-town Illinois, and now live in marginally urban Fairbanks, Alaska. I know small town life, a loving family, and the desire to get out of there and make something of yourself. The setting is also historical. It includes key plot points from the McCarthy era, which, while I lived through it, didn't impinge upon my consciousness directly, but which still engenders stray whispers of remembrance when I read about it.

The plot basically is that 10-year-old Franny is a music prodigy. She plays piano with more devotion than even most kids play sports. But, her family can't afford the expensive music lessons in the city that her local rival gets. She has to make do with the town's aging and inattentive teacher, who eventually admits that she has taught Franny everything that she can and now she must get a new piano teacher. Then a mysterious Russian "Commie" woman takes up residence in town and Franny in desperation and with marked perseverance negotiates for piano lessons from her. This is a good kids' eye view of prejudice and the effects of stereotyping hysteria.

I enjoyed the book. It isn't that it breaks new ground, but it is great to see a book that acknowledges that excellence is a combination of phenomenal talent AND phenomenal persistence and hard work. It is also refreshing to allow a female main character the personality trait of competitiveness, even in the field of music.

Recommended.


As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President! by Donna Gephart

I am not sure why I bought this book. It sounds too much like the Princess Diaries or another such Chick Lit book. But I did buy it and I actually enjoyed it - even the snide parallels to some of the current political machinations.

The plot: Vanessa's mother, the governor of Florida, has decided to run for president and is actually doing quite well in the effort. Vanessa, however, is doing quite poorly. Her father died in an airplane crash and now Vanessa feels abandoned by both parents. Predictably, Vanessa eventually comes to terms with the whole thing, but it is still a good story about getting there.

Not first class literature, but an enjoyable book, nonetheless.


Brett McCarthy: Work in Progress by Maria Padian

Maybe it is a bit of jealousy that draws me to a character like Brett. I wish I had a bit of her spunk and she had a bit of my self-control. Brett's circle of friends has been enlarged to include a newer girl, who is aiming to be in the more popular circles of junior high, taking with her Brett's best friend for years. Brett's grandmother has also been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. And Brett's former best friend, Diane's parents are going through a messy divorce. Yes, I know, all of those teen-ish things that I said I was tired of. But the focus on her grandmother is turned toward living well, rather than dying and the divorce thing is mostly in the background, so it didn't hit me quite as strongly over the head.

Usually I feel like I enjoy a book more when I can identify more with the main character. I like this book, though, even though I didn't feel akin to the main character very much.


The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

I guess this is the week for reading about pancreatic cancer. This book was recommended to me and I can finally say that I enjoyed an adult book. Most people who have heard about this book probably heard about it through TV and an interview Randy Pautsch had with Dianne Sawyer. Since I don't have TV, I didn't hear about it that way. It was recommended to me by an acquaintance whom I've never met, but with whom I have shared book ideas. At any rate, I enjoyed this. I hope I can live my life as well as he is living his death, though I doubt I will. I have come to the uncomfortable conclusion that even though I think about my life and what I do a lot, I never really understand some part of it until that part is over for a few years and I can gain some perspective on it. This man seems much more self-aware and cognizant of the present. Enviously.


Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor

Sometimes, no matter how much you wish it to be true, things really just don't work out. Addie wants life with her mother, apart from her step-dad and half-sisters, to work out, and she gives it brave try after brave try. But her mother just can't be the parent Addie needs. This is a bittersweet book about a girl with a lot of heart in rather desperate circumstances. Touching and heartwarming.

Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, Moving Day by Meg Cabot

This is the beginning of a series of books for a slightly younger set than the Princess Diaries by the same author. This book has similar appeal. It is entertaining enough, but I will give subsequent ones in the series a pass. Not enough meat on the bones for me. I will say, though, the the cover of the hardback is very clever. It is actually a poster folded into a cover. Kudos to THAT cover designer.

Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It by Sundee T. Frazier

Brendan Buckley has never met his grandfather on his mother's side and as a budding scientist he wants to know why. This book is about racism and what it means to a biracial kid. It is well done and appealing. It could serve well as an introduction to the topic for grade school kids. It is a bit too light weight for me, but that is probably much better for younger kids.

The Fish by L. S. Matthews, read by Jenna Lamia

I listened to this book and have mixed feelings about it. While it could have been a realistic tale similar to Parvana's Journey, it seems designed to have religious overtones - or at least to be allegorical in nature. As one reviewer on Amazon said, "I would have enjoyed it more if he had played it straight."


Sing a Song of Tuna-Fish by Esmé Raji Codell

I listened to this one in audio, too, but I did not care for it. It seemed a bit too young for me. In fact, only a day or so later, I don't really remember much about it, except that parts of it were annoying.


So that is it. The last few days spent reading. Now to get some "real work" done.

No comments:

Post a Comment