Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Buttermilk Hill by Ruth White

I like Ruth White's books, but, now that I have read 3 or 4 of them, they are getting a bit predictable. I am not sure why I say that, as the plots are all different, but the atmosphere of the books seems the same. This one deals with Piper, whose best friend, Lindy, is also her aunt, her father's youngest sister and her same age. Piper's parents have been arguing about pursuing dreams and in the course of the story, her mother returns to college to pursue her dream. The parents separate and then divorce and her father remarries - with a woman who has twin sons. There is also the side story about a boy in the girls' class, who is a loner and becomes their friend.

Things finish up a bit too neatly, as is typical for White's stories. It is heartwarming and pleasant and a good read, but I am left with a bit of the feeling that it isn't quite real enough. Perhaps this is my fault, though, as it is written for an age group probably a bit younger than I usually read books for. If you are in the mood for a non-devastating, good book, this would fill the bill. Worthwhile, but ultimately not one that will linger in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment