Friday, June 29, 2018

Review: The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl

The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl by Stacy McAnulty
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I am not sure I accept the science behind the original accident (lightning causing a case of acquired savant syndrome), and it is a tiny bit problematic that a mathematical genius has to have happened accidentally, rather than being a naturally acquired ability, but if you accept the premise, the rest of the book turns out to be interesting. There are a number of discussable issues in the book that might make it an interesting read-aloud for older elementary or middle school kids: differences/oddities, outstanding ability, how the teacher deals with students, group projects, school requirements, lunchroom issues, etc. More things to think about than I expected. And I like the resolution/non-resolution of the ending.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment