Saturday, July 14, 2018

Review: You're the Only One I Can Tell: Inside the Language of Women's Friendships

You're the Only One I Can Tell: Inside the Language of Women's Friendships You're the Only One I Can Tell: Inside the Language of Women's Friendships by Deborah Tannen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I started this book a long while ago, but I read multiple books at a time and it got buried under the onslaught. I have finally finished it and I would now love to recommend it to friends for discussion purposes. And, I may have to read it again, just to consolidate my own thoughts about friendship and talking. The book has given me insight into some of the successes and failures of my own attempts to talk with friends. I usually feel that I am pretty good at understanding what others are feeling, but that hubris may be a bit misplaced, especially with attempts to connect with people of different backgrounds and experiences. Recommended for people who are interested in the connections between linguistics, sociology, and psychology - or people who are interested in talking to friends. It is not just for women, but in my experience women talk in this manner much more than men do.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment