Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Review: One Came Home


One Came Home
One Came Home by Amy Timberlake

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This book didn't quite make it for me. First of all, I am not sure what age group the book is for. The things that are of major concern in the book seem more like interests of teens, but the main character is what I would consider to be a tween.

Secondly, the narrative seems to be uneven - at times venturing into grown up things; then abruptly switching to more childish things. I suppose that is the nature of this age group, but it didn't feel natural to me. In fact, some of the plot twists seem contrived, where others seemed obvious.

I found the flip-flop of Georgie's attitude toward hunting at the very end of the book unconvincing. And, I am not sure what message it sends. She is an expert shooter and lauded for her marksmanship and then she completely gives it up? I didn't see enough inner struggle to explain why she had the sudden shift. The cougar? Shooting off the counterfeiter's thumb?

The book is enjoyable enough that I actually read the whole thing in a day, but I am not sure I could sell it to kids.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment