Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher

I read this book for a science fiction book group. Once a year, they choose a YA title to read and this is the title for this year. Since I really enjoy YA books, and since science fiction was one thing I particularly enjoyed reading when I was in junior high, AND since I have enjoyed others of Crutcher's books a lot, I was surprised and disappointed about this one. First of all, the only thing bordering on being science fictiony is that the main character's best friend comes back after dieing in an accident and talks to him - a sort of haunting, as it were. The rest of the story is just about book censorship. There are a few amusing twists, but not enough to make it a good book - at least for me.

I wonder what the book group will make of it. I almost want to bring with me some YA science fiction and fantasy books that I think really ARE good - like the Obernewtyn Chronicles. I am currently re-reading them: Obernewtyn, The Farseekers, Ashling, and The Keepers (not sure about the title - that one is still downstairs). I am really enjoying them and I think this is my 4th time through them, as I have had to re-read the entire series each time a new book comes out. The fifth book is scheduled to come out this year and the sixth (and presumably final) one next year. I guess one reason why I am so sensitive about this is that the last time I went to this book group (normally, it conflicts with another activity I do), one person said that he hates YA books and will skip the meeting whenever YA books are being discussed. It is too bad to have his opinion validated.

I don't think this book is particularly bad - and it DID win some award, but I don't think it is particularly good either. As I said at the start, I have read other Chris Crutcher books that I really liked: Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes, Whale Talk. This one just doen's grab me.

No comments:

Post a Comment