Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Finally, another adult book. I enjoyed the first section - her months in Italy. I have been to the northern parts of Italy and my husband and kids have been to the central part. And I can understand her love of the language and the food. The getting over the divorce part only relates to me in that I have also been getting over a couple of bad experiences - only job-related, not relationship-related.

But the pray part - India - is of less interest to me. I read it, but I resorted to skimming at the end. And the love section, I skimmed entirely. I am not sure why the love part doesn't appeal to me as much. I guess because her search was for a balance between eat and pray and by that point, it just seemed tedious.

I would have enjoyed the book if it had been just the eat and pray part, with the pray part cut down somewhat. I guess that shows where my own interests are, rather than the quality of the book and the writing.

I think this is frequently true. The parts of books that we most enjoy are parts that speak to our own issues and interests. I wonder at times if we can fairly judge books that are outside of those interests and issues. What do reading panels for book awards do when a book comes across their paths that is completely different? I guess the Printz people should be commended for the American Born Chinese selection. It certainly is different from most of the books on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment