Sunday, May 20, 2007

Drum, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

The main idea of this book is that the main character is a regular middle student, with an annoying younger brother. As a typical teen, he is a bit whiny and self-centered, until the family finds out that the younger brother has leukemia. The book is about the family's dealings with the changes this bring, which are substantial. The subject matter could be really depressing and there are times when it is, but the writing is also peppered with humor and doses of normalcy. It makes the book more endearing and real.

I can't remember if I read this book before or after Sonnenblick's other book that I have read: Notes from a Midnight Driver. At any rate, I enjoyed the first one enough to seek out the second one. I think I like Drums a little bit better than Midnight Driver, but both were enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment