Monday, May 28, 2007

Adam Canfield of the Slash by Michael Winerip

OK, I guess I can't write this unless I confess: I have tried to manage kids writing a school newspaper and it was NOWHERE near as good as this school newspaper. It should have been - the kids were 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. But, in actual fact, it was horrible. I was a horrible teacher/advisor. I was ashamed that what we published was so bad.

So, in a way, I envied the principal in this story. She had kids working pretty independently on a school newspaper - one with real articles and decent substance. The kids typed it in, printed out proofing copy and gave it to the principal to check. Who knows, maybe this could really happen in real life. But it sure didn't happen with me. I guess I should stick to teaching math.

So, with that preface, the book is about two kids who are co-editors of the local school newspaper. This newspaper has had a reputation for excellence and the quality of the stories they include shows it. The kids are good - they get involved in real stories and real controversy and they end up doing things pretty well. The major characters are Jennifer, a black kid, and Adam Canfield, a white kid - both outstanding students. (Why does the book get named after the white male?) Secondary characters are Phoebe, a precocious 3rd grader, and the principal, Mrs. Marris, who is the person to look out for. Phoebe, who has a nose for good stories and good reporting, writes a story about the school janitor and another one about a local "smile" contest that form the basis of one of the plot element stories. Adam and Jennifer are the sleuths involved in the other major plot line.

One interesting sideline is the commentary about overscheduled kids. Adam has a habit of being late for everything, but it is no wonder - he has a daily schedule that is several feet long. Another interesting tidbit is the voluntary/mandatory cramming class designed to get kids to do well on the state exams. NCLB, anyone?

For all that, though, the book dragged a bit at times. I guess I felt I could see where the story was heading and I just wanted them to get on with it.

And, in a way, it is harder for a story that is supposedly realistic. Realism means that you have to show realistic things happening - and realism is sometimes a bit on the tedious and complicated side.

It is a good story, but a bit on the longwinded side.

No comments:

Post a Comment