Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Review: The Lost Girl

The Lost Girl The Lost Girl by Anne Ursu
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This really wasn't my thing. I know it was supposed to be touching and affirming, but I couldn't get into all of the strangeness. First of all, I had a hard time keeping the two twins separate in my mind. The twin that was supposed to have one characteristic kept showing the other characteristic. That could have been part of the point, but it didn't seem to be. Second of all, it hurt me whenever the parents and the school people kept insisting that they had made the best decision for the girls' sake. I once made a decision for one of my children that the child later felt was wrong and I tried to rectify it. No one seemed to feel the girls had anything valid to say. Yes, I know: parents do sometimes have to make difficult decisions for their children. In this case, I felt they needed more buy-in from the children. And, finally magical realism evidently isn't my thing. The author took what could have been a good real-life problem and added a bunch of mystical / magical / supernatural whatever that seemed unnecessary and confusing. I am evidently an outlier with regard to reviewers of this book, however. Take it with a grain of salt.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment