Sunday, March 31, 2019

Review: Bloomability

Bloomability Bloomability by Sharon Creech
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is actually a re-read and I just skimmed the last half of the book. I enjoyed this book for the gentle look at the confusion of young teenage-ness. Why is one person so enthusiastic about just living? Why is another so demanding? Where does that strength of character/personality come from? Why don't I have it?

When I was 16/17, I was a foreign student in Germany and I remember wondering why I was there. I was not the foreign student type: I was not a bubbly extravert who was out to make friends all over the world. I was a semi-intellectual, pretend nerd. What was I really doing there? This is the part of the book that really speaks to me.

Eventually, like Dinnie, I did come to make real friends and I count my German family as some of the deepest and longest lasting ones. And the experience was a turning point in my life, but at the time, I wasn't sure why. Re-reading this now, I want to assure Dinnie that she will look back on that year as a turning point for her, too. It is a fabulous experience to live in another country for a year.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment