Sunday, March 18, 2018

Review: The Girl Who Drew Butterflies: How Maria Merian's Art Changed Science

The Girl Who Drew Butterflies: How Maria Merian's Art Changed Science The Girl Who Drew Butterflies: How Maria Merian's Art Changed Science by Joyce Sidman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have a bit of an issue with the title. Maria Merian was not just a "girl who drew butterflies". She was an artist who drew and studied insects, animals, and the plants they lived with and on. This is a bit like describing a pioneering herpetologist as "a boy who watched frogs". It trivializes her contributions and makes the drawing and the butterflies more central and exclusive to her work than they were. Yes, she was a gifted artist and yes, she did paint butterflies, but she also drew, painted, and STUDIED butterflies and moths and other insects, as well as plants and animals. And her contributions to the science which eventually became entomology were not trivial. As someone who, at one point was a trained scientist, I am also a bit puzzled (non-plussed) with the distinction between amateur biology observers and "real scientists". True, she didn't have formal training, but in many ways, her observations and experiments were exactly what "real" scientists must do and actually DO do.

Complaints aside, this is an interesting book. Once again, I marvel at the determination and dedication that many women scientists had, even though they were held back at every turn. I am jealous of that dedication and that effort in some ways. I had it too easy and I didn't appreciate all of the education I actually got. I marvel at the ability of people to carry on, in spite of everything.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment