Sunday, February 22, 2015

Review: The War that Saved My Life


The War that Saved My Life
The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I can't help but contrast this book with another book that I just finished, [b:Fish In A Tree|22402972|Fish In A Tree|Lynda Mullaly Hunt|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1403181554s/22402972.jpg|41828131]. The settings and circumstances are unrelated, but the main characters' problems are surprisingly similar. The characters in this book felt much more real to me and I am trying to figure out why.

The main characters in each book suffer from a disability and their reactions are, for both, shame and the feeling of complete lack of self-worth. They each even had a caring adult rescue them from this feeling of debasement. And they also each had caring brothers to help them. But, for some reason, the people in this book seemed much less like stereotypes and more like real people. I think the "devil is in the details" - the subtle actions and reactions that made each person come to life in their own way.

If there is one note that sounded slightly off to me, it was the discovery of the German spy. But I will forgive that author that, because I found the rest of the book very satisfying. The part that seemed quite real to me was the main character's anger and refusal to accept her own growing sense of self-worth.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment