Saturday, February 21, 2015

Review: Fish in a Tree


Fish in a Tree
Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This book was compelling enough that I listened to the whole thing in two days and it is an encouraging look at a whole bunch of different kids who eventually learn to value each others strengths. I think kids will probably enjoy it and be able to see themselves in at least one of the characters.

There are, however, some things that make me a bit uncomfortable about it. Several of the characters seem like caricatures of certain types of kids: the brain, the girl bully, the outspoken confident kid. Even Ally herself, seems in some ways to be a caricature of dyslexic kids. And, the interactions sometimes border on the saccharine.

The narration is good, but adds to the saccharine feel of the story line. A bit too sweet to be real.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment