Friday, February 13, 2015

Review: Seeds of Freedom: The Peaceful Integration of Huntsville, Alabama


Seeds of Freedom: The Peaceful Integration of Huntsville, Alabama
Seeds of Freedom: The Peaceful Integration of Huntsville, Alabama by Hester Bass

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I wanted to like this book better than I did. It is an important addition to books set in the Civil Rights era. But it just doesn't feel very compelling. The focus is on a series of events, so there isn't the identification with major characters and their doings and there isn't the suspense leading up to a single event. I am glad Huntsville escaped some of the more serious violence, but it just felt a bit detached to me.

That said, quite a few of my relatives live in the Huntsville area and it was interesting to be from that perspective.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment