Monday, September 1, 2014

Review: The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher


The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher
The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher by Dana Alison Levy

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



Right now, I am rather annoyed at this book for the way the character Eli was handled. I doubt if there could be many more smart kid stereotypes used for him. I am also very annoyed at the way the school for gifted kids was described - no playground, no recess, bathroom breaks that were timed, on and on - anything that could make the school sound like a prison, in direct contrast to the wonderful public school. I wonder if the author has actually ever visited a school for gifted kids or has interacted with very many of them. I have - and I am really tired of such worn out stereotypes.

There may be positives to this story, but a lot of it seems filled with showing how a family with two dads is just great and a curmudgeonly neighbor was just concerned about his elderly mother and the imaginary friend of the youngest son was really a real girl, but with wheat and dairy allergies. The oldest son was a fantastic athlete, but also was a star storyteller and actor. Politically correct, much.

Sorry.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment