Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Review: The Dragonet Prophecy


The Dragonet Prophecy
The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I picked this book up to read while I was subbing. I try to read at the same time that the students do when there is silent reading time, modeling the appeal of reading. Besides, I really enjoy kids' books. I didn't manage to finish the whole book then, but it had an unexpected appeal for me - there are so many dragon books right now, I thought this one would be just more of the same. In a way, it is more of the same, but I think it has a bit extra. I don't think the story line is extraordinary, but the characters appealed to me.

At first I had a hard time keeping the various types of dragons separate in my mind, but as the story progresses, they become more distinct. I was a bit surprised that the main focus of the narrative was the MudWing Clay, but, in retrospect, it provides an appealing progression. At first, he seems bumbling and incompetent, but gradually the characteristics that make him seem bumbling as a presumably fierce dragon leader - his lack of fighting skills and the will to develop them - become the traits that distinguish him as a leader. I rather like the idea of learning to know yourself and your strengths, rather than just accepting what people tell you you are.

I have heard that this series gets darker as it progresses. I am a bit squeamish about really dark story lines, so I am not sure if I will continue with it, but I am tempted.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment