Saturday, August 30, 2014

Review: Absolutely Almost


Absolutely Almost
Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This is a good-hearted book with an unlikely hero, unlikely in the sense that it is very uncommon to find a book about a pretty ordinary boy. He is not a very good student and not especially good at things that kids value. But his nanny helps him discover things that he IS good at and to keep working toward finding things that he enjoys doing.

A personal caveat: I think one of the problems I had with this book is that I couldn't personally identify with the fundamental difficulties that Albie had with school. I understand them - I am a teacher - but his difficulties weren't really ever my own, so it was just a tad harder to feel them. In a way, I am grateful for the book showing me how it feels for average kids to not understand or identify with books about really smart kids.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment