Friday, February 14, 2014

Review: The Irish Cinderlad


The Irish Cinderlad
The Irish Cinderlad by Shirley Climo

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I wish I had the money to collect Cinderella tales, as I find the cultural variations rather interesting. This one is, of course, most notable because the "Cinderella" is male. But a further variation is that the "fairy godmother" is a bull.

Unlike Gundula, I rather liked the illustrations, although the colors are very stereotypical (pink for girls; green and brown for boys).

This would be a good book for teachers to add to their collection if one of their writing projects is to take a familiar fairy tale and change it in some way. I have seen this done with the Cinderella tales, but also with The Three Little Pigs and other standard kids' fare.

Fun.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment