Friday, February 28, 2014

Review: Angel Island: Gateway to Gold Mountain


Angel Island: Gateway to Gold Mountain
Angel Island: Gateway to Gold Mountain by Russell Freedman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



While I think this book would make an extremely valuable contribution to a collection of immigration books, it is also very discomfiting. I must admit that I had to skim a lot of it, because it was a bit too painful for me to think about.

From a technical standpoint, this book is less about narrative than it is about presentation. The pictures and the poems tell a lot of the story. History is not my biggest interest and I usually prefer story. This book doesn't have quite as much story as I generally prefer.

I wonder if Australia will, in the future, have an analogous experience with their asylum seekers on Manus Island.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment