Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Why I Don't Read as Much YA as I Used To

I must admit, I really dislike the vampire and zombie books. I have changed my reading patterns a lot, based on the fact that a lot of the YA stuff is just not appealing to me any more. I LOVE coming of age stories, but not the ones that involve vampires, zombies, and other aspects of the horror genre.

I also do not like it when YA stories use sex to resolve a growing up issue, e.g., to decide whether a character is or is not homosexual, or whether the character can commit to a relationship (of any kind). Sex doesn't prove that anyway and, to me, it is a cop out for real maturation and growth.

No, I am not trying to censor any of the authors; yes, I understand that kids want to read about some of this and at least they are reading.  But I am mostly reading books now because I enjoy them, since I no longer teach full time,  and I simply don't enjoy the above mentioned types of books.  

Thus, I am reading a bit younger books than I actually prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment