Thursday, September 5, 2013

Review: The Adventures of Superhero Girl


The Adventures of Superhero Girl
The Adventures of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I am not a huge fan of graphic novels, but I am a collector of comic art and comic strips. This book is sort of a combination of the two. The art is very much of the quality of graphic novels - detailed, complete frame-by-frame colored art work. And it is appealing.

The story lines are more like comic strips. There is some continuity - of characters, their relationships, and the main idea of the strips, but the stories are mostly contained in individual pages. The ideas of each of the pages are generally good. Some are quite funny; some are very touching; some are depressingly true to life. The only thing that prevents me from giving this more stars is that I wish there were more plot. There are times when several of the pages combine to make a more complete story. These are the times when I feel like I can almost taste what is missing.

I am, as a reader, very focused on the characters, their reactions, their interactions, and their growth. This strip is good enough to make me care about what happens, but not quite good enough to leave me satisfied with what took place. People who are less focused on plot and are looking for good art, and shorter-term enjoyment will probably like this a bit more.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment