Friday, June 21, 2019

Review: I Am Not a Number

I Am Not a Number I Am Not a Number by Jenny Kay Dupuis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't think I will ever understand, and actually I hope I don't, how people in charge of children can be so mean to them, so completely lacking in compassion and understanding. I get it that they thought their culture was superior and that the Native children needed to learn the white culture, but I don't understand why they have to "teach" them in such a punitive and harmful way.

And, though this book is historical, talking about the way the Native children were taken away from their families to be "educated" in boarding schools, this is happening, in essence, again, on the southern border of the United States, with the LatinX children.

Too painful. I am not sorry I read it, but I am sorry for the world that it is happening over and over again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment