Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a satisfying book, with interesting construction and heart appeal. But I am going to use this review as a bit of a rant.

I enjoy reading kids' books and young adult books that aren't too violent, but, in my two book clubs, I am often looked at uncomfortably when I suggest reading one of this type of books for our monthly book club meetings. If they choose a kids' book or a young adult book, typically they look for the classics: Little Women, Heidi, etc. They don't actually say it, but the idea is floating around the room that reading books written for children is somehow lesser than reading ones written for adults.

This particular book is a case in point. It is not a heavy book - and it doesn't need to be - it is an interesting book that adds to history by including people connections and a bit of romance. But, even though it is an adult book, it is no more weighty than many children's books. There are any number of children's books about World War II that are just as weighty and involve just as serious looks at the times and the consequences. And, even children's books that address other topics, fantasy and science fiction or family issues or discrimination, often do so in a way that carries every bit as much gravitas as this book does. Yet, this book is very favorably talked about. I am a bit weary of the stigma on children's books. I like them, because they are often more honest. The issues aren't hidden from view, but are laid bare for even kids to see.

Still, I enjoyed the book. Just don't expect it to be as "heavy" as Number the Stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment