Thursday, August 25, 2016

Review: Roger Dahl's Comic Japan: Best of Zero Gravity Cartoons from The Japan Times-The Lighter Side of Tokyo Life

Roger Dahl's Comic Japan: Best of Zero Gravity Cartoons from The Japan Times-The Lighter Side of Tokyo Life Roger Dahl's Comic Japan: Best of Zero Gravity Cartoons from The Japan Times-The Lighter Side of Tokyo Life by Roger Dahl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoy cartoons from other countries because they give me insight into the cultures. These cartoons are of interest, because they are cartoons done by Americans living in Japan. The advantage is that I can read them, because they are in English and I can understand at least half of the reference points - the perspectives of Americans. The drawback is that the culture is represented through foreign eyes, rather than through their own eyes. This makes them different in perspective than, for instance, Madam and Eve cartoons (from South Africa), since although those cartoons are in English, they are done by a South African.

The art work for the cartoons is good and I enjoyed the book.

I keep hoping that people who read these reviews will recommend other books similar to this or the Madam and Eve collection, but so far no one has.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment