Friday, August 26, 2016

Review: The ACB with Honora Lee

The ACB with Honora Lee The ACB with Honora Lee by Kate De Goldi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was a bit of a disappointment. I have really enjoyed others of De Goldi's books, but this one was just a bit short in some respects. The biggest complaint I have is that the parents, while included in parts of the story, were really unsympathetic and unsupportive. Their parts in the story did little to advance the narrative, other than to make Perry seem neglected. If their neglect were the focus of the story, that would be a point that needed to be made, but here, it just seemed to be an annoying distraction.

The best thing about the book is the depiction of the various people in the nursing home. My mother was in a nursing home for her last few years and De Goldi really got many of those people right. I like that her grandmother never does really "get" that Perry is her granddaughter and keeps looking for her brother and husband who are both long deceased.

The idea for this book is charming and parts of it are excellent. It just doesn't quite come together to make a fabulous story for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment