Sunday, June 29, 2014

Review: The Secret Hum of a Daisy


The Secret Hum of a Daisy
The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This is a well-written book and the characters, even the minor ones, seemed like real people. Why didn't I rate it higher? Probably the same reason some people will rate it much higher than I did: the language is lush and gorgeous. Why is that a negative? For me, it is because the language becomes part of the focus of the story and I wanted the focus to be on the people.

For a long time, I have wondered why I like books with less "good writing". I was afraid that I couldn't even tell what good writing was. I am sure, to some extent, that is still true. But then it occurred to be that I really didn't especially like all of the examples of "good writing" that people would use to get their point across. I am more interested in good characters and a good story. Yes, to some extent, both of those depend on "good writing". But "good writing" that draws focus to itself is distracting to me.

That said, if you are a fan of "good writing" and good story and characters, this book will please you.

One of the best things about the books is how the inner conflict that Grace has is handled. I think it is actually a bit too mature for 12 years old to be able to define it all for herself, but for young teens who are going through emotional turmoil, it may help them articulate some of their own feelings. And maybe I underestimate young teens and tweens.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment