Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review: A Medal for Leroy


A Medal for Leroy
A Medal for Leroy by Michael Morpurgo

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I have yet to figure out why, with some books, I read them in fits and starts, but with other books, I just sit down and scarcely look up before I am done. This was a "read straight through" book. It isn't a page-turner, which might be a good reason for reading straight through. And, though there is a mild mystery to it, that wouldn't be compelling enough by itself to explain it. I suppose, with me, it has to do with whether I find the characters and their situation interesting. I figured out the "twist" long before it was presented, but I still was satisfied with the book as a whole.

From a historical fiction perspective, the idea that a soldier of color would not be awarded a medal of honor in combat is an interesting topic, and one of some relevancy. In the news recently the president gave medals to servicemen of color who deserved them, but hadn't been awarded them, due to unequal practices.

This is not an exciting book, but it is a touching book, reminding us that all people deserve respect.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment