Sunday, February 10, 2013

Review: Das Doppelte Lottchen


Das Doppelte Lottchen
Das Doppelte Lottchen by Erich Kästner

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I enjoyed this audiobook, although it was shorter than I expected. I don't think it was abridged (Audible described it as "ungekürtz".) It was not the version for the Kinofilm.

When I was a child, there was a fascination with twins. I remember fondly the stories about the Bobbsey Twins [b:The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport|856112|The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport (Bobbsey Twins, #1)|Laura Lee Hope|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309285754s/856112.jpg|841594] and also the movie The Parent Trap. I never knew that The Parent Trap was based on this story, or at least the idea.

I agree with Gundula http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/78741943", that this book is more realistic with regard to the problems that happen when parents mishandle divorce and the separation of siblings and especially twins. Since this book is written for and about children in the 8 to 12 year old age group (my opinion only), it doesn't go into depth about the anger and frustration that the children must have felt - it uses gentler allusions instead.

I think the parents actually got off a bit light. Had this been written for slightly older children, I think there would have been more justifiable anger and some lingering difficulties.

Still, I enjoyed it and may actually look up the book versions.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment