Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review: A Crooked Kind of Perfect


A Crooked Kind of Perfect
A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This is a sound middle grade / tween book. In some ways, it reminds me of Kate De Goldi's 10 PM Question [b:The 10 PM Question|7739858|The 10 PM Question|Kate De Goldi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320506311s/7739858.jpg|6145976]. In this case, it is the dad, who is the agoraphobic who ends up baking as an occupation.

Part of the reason I am not giving the book 4 stars is that I was never convinced that Zoe really wanted to play the piano, rather than the organ. And the book really hangs on this premise. She wanted the glitter that goes with performing on the piano, but to go through all of what is in the story, I needed to be more convinced that she really wanted to play music, especially PIANO music.

Nevertheless, the rest of the story is worthwhile. I liked her and her dad's relationship with Wheeler and the various school-related incidents. And, her relationship with her mother was an interesting side-plot.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment