Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Review: The Far West


The Far West
The Far West by Patricia C. Wrede

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Again, this is a rather strange concept for a book. It is akin to steam punk, but the emphasis is on an alternate history of the US frontier, based on magic and the continued existence of animals known to have gone extinct in North America. As a story, this is a meandering tale that never really develops tension or progress (though there is action with animals and with magic), but, for some strange reason, it pulled me in anyway. I have had a hard time wanting to finish quite a few books lately (personal distractions), but this one, I managed to make time for. I like the semi-scientific approach to magic and magical animals. I like Eff, Lan, and Michael.

My chief annoyance with the book is a good one: I want more. More of the characters, more of the setting, more of the concepts about magic.

And I do have one question/comment: is this the last of a trilogy? I will be disappointed if it is, for two reasons: 1) I enjoyed reading it and 2) I don't want Eff's story to end with marriage. Life does go on after a young girl gets married. Wrede showed this in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles and I would be interested to see it here, too.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment