Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Wonder


Wonder
Wonder by R.J. Palacio

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



As I was reading this, I kept thinking, "This would make a good read aloud; a good discussion starter." And, now that I am finished I still think so. How DO you get past the initial shock of someone who has a physical deformity? What IS the kindest way to react? How can you look past the outward appearance and get to know the person?

I once taught a girl who had severe cerebral palsy and I never managed to answer these questions. In her case, I never even managed to figure out how to communicate with her, but that really doesn't explain (or justify) my reactions to her.

There were parts of this book that were just a tad too good (Auggie's family), but most of the book was spot on for each of the different characters. The craft of the author really shows through in the shifts of points of view - with each character adding to the depth of the story. In literature for students of this age (somewhat young for YA; too old for middle grades), there is sometimes the temptation to simplify people and situations, but here the author purposely adds to the complexity, illustrating convincingly that you need to know each character better, before you really understand the situation.

Highly recommended.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment