Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: New Kids on The Rock


New Kids on The Rock
New Kids on The Rock by Mark Miller

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



The first thing to say about this is that I am not sure about this marketing plan. This selection only cost $0.99, but it is only one chapter's worth of story. The second thing to say is that, in general, I am not a fan of short stories I just get into them - and they are over.

Now, for the story (I can't quite refer to it as a book, since it really isn't). The premise is interesting, but there isn't nearly enough development for me. So far, everyone seems like a stereotype, from the kid-jock and the other kid-computer geek to the threatening-secret agent, the out-back-kid, the nondescript out-back girl place-holder, the aboriginal jeep driver, and quite a few other minor characters. For such a short excerpt, there just isn't enough there.

It is an interesting idea and it may appeal to its target audience - middle grade kids who like action and adventure, but I will need to debate with myself long and hard, before I commit too much to it. There are so many good books out there. But I am a sucker for things that have to do with geography and, in this instance, Australia, so who knows, maybe I will try at least the rest of this story.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment