Friday, September 8, 2006

Gloria Whelan

I have been more interested in Africa lately, since my younger daughter spent 7+ weeks in Uganda on a student traineeship. Years ago, I had collected stamps from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Botswana, but that interest had kind of gone by the wayside. Still, for a long time, I have wanted to learn to speak an African language [I know several European languages - at least modestly - and I have wanted to see if knowing an unrelated African language would bring me new insights into how people in that part of the world think.]. And I have read children's books from Africa off and on for many years. But A.'s trip to Uganda and the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency books have led to a revived interest in Africa.

So, when I was looking through my Amazon recommendations, I saw Listening for Lions by Gloria Whelan. I have been trying to wean myself off of buying books that could possibly be at our library, but in this case our library didn't have it yet. It is "in the process of being acquired". But, while I was at the library, I decided to check out two other books by Gloria Whelan. I had read Angel on the Square a couple of years ago and, though I enjoyed it, it wasn't a particular favorite of mine. But two other books of hers caught my eye. These books I will review today.


Goodbye, Vietnam

This is the older book, written in 1990, according to the copyright date - and it is showing its age a bit. The story is still fine, but the epilogue is out of date - with many changes in that country since 1990. Nevertheless, this is a pretty faithful accounting of the hazards faced by the boat people who fled Vietnam during that era - and, even though it is probably toned down a bit for children, it is still a pretty grim tale. It is well crafted in that it really makes the reader feel with and understand the people. I like it when books give you a real sense of a culture's traditions, without necessarily lecturing to you and this book does that.


Chu Ju's House

I enjoyed this book, too. It is the story of the oldest girl in a rural Chinese family. Chinese people who farm were allowed to have two children and every family hoped that at least one of the children would be a boy, since boys were responsible for caring for the parents when they were older. But since the child that was born second was another girl, the family made arrangements to sell the infant, so that they might try one more time for a boy. To spare her young sister the ordeal of an orphanage, Chu Ju runs away and tries to make her own way in the world. It isn't an easy life - she lives for a while with a boat family, then in a silk-making factory with some orphans, and finally makes her way to a poor farming community and a very small two-person farm. There she is befriended and gradually finds comfort, both physically and emotionally. She finally goes back to visit her family (and now there is a third girl), but in the meantime, she is satisfied with the life she has made and returns to her farm.

This book is all about choices - how they are made and what their consequences are and that is something I am always quite interested in. The choices aren't easy. I do appreciate the fact that the author shows different people making entirely different choices and shows understanding of each of those choices. It is still a children's book, but some of the complexities of life are at least gently explored.

Another thing that is of interest is the method of educating the peasants - through pamphlets and local agricultural workers. Books are still suspicious - they contain dangerous ideas, but the pamphlets that help people learn better farming methods are gradually making learning new things more acceptable. Of the things that were taught in the local school, we hear only briefly about reading and writing. I guess literacy is important worldwide - even (or especially) under repressive regimes.


Summary

Both of these books were enjoyable they still lack that something that makes me love them. Maybe I am just getting jaded. They were both good, but they won't be carried with me to mull over many years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment