Sunday, September 3, 2006

A Few Adult Books to Add

I am not sure if I will annotate all of the books I have read since the last post. This first post is a brief listing of some of the adult ones I have read recently.

Alexander McCall Smith's Books
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Tears of the Giraffe, Morality for Beautiful Girls, The Kalahari Typing School for Men, and The Full Cupboard of Life

These books have been billed as mysteries, which I suppose, vaguely, they are. But they are much less mystery and much more looking into human nature - and that is probably why I have enjoyed them so much. I am not really interested in hair-raising thrillers, or murder intrigues, but I do find these books completely fascinating for the glimpses of culture in Africa, as well as the completely universal problems of human living. They aren't especially demanding books - I read two of them in one day - but they are enjoyable and feel worth the time. I have ordered the next two already.

My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson

This book is another reason why I just can't seem to get into adult books. It isn't that it isn't a good book, but the problems that it explores just aren't ones that particularly interest me. I actually think it is MY problem, not the book's, so, if anyone is reading this, don't discount the book because of this review. Parts of the book I did enjoy - especially the parts where the little girl, Tegan, is the major focus.

Meg by Maurice Gee

I bought this book when I was looking for books about British boarding schools, so I kept waiting for it to relate to that interest. But, I think it was probably recommended by mistake. Perhaps the author wrote other school stories, but this one is NOT one. It is a family history saga - interesting, actually, in its own way, but again, an adult book with a focus different from my major interests. The one thing I do find curious about it is its voice. It is interesting to me how an author achieves that almost disinterested voice when relating a story that is obviously of core interest to the main character - as though it hurts too much to show how much the main character really feels - or how far beyond caring the MC has gotten in order to make it through the rest of her life.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete