Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Review: Amelia Westlake

Amelia Westlake Amelia Westlake by Erin Gough
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

This isn't a review so much as a musing, as I am only about 1/3 of the way through the book.

I sometimes wonder why most of my friends look askance at YA or young teen books. There is a lot of depth and relevance to them, even if their target audience is younger than we are. In this case, I am thinking about the similarities between Will and Harriet and the warring factions of my own self. For most of my life, I tried to be Harriet - the good girl, the one who follows the rules, does well at playing the academic and professional game. But lately, I am much more tempted by my Will side - the one who sees injustice, complacency, and wrong, and refuses to shut up about it. There is a lot to think about, with the story mirroring some of my own problems. What does it mean to be a good friend? What does it mean to be a good person?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment