Sunday, February 9, 2020

Review: Brilliant Maps for Curious Minds: 100 New Ways to See the World

Brilliant Maps for Curious Minds: 100 New Ways to See the World Brilliant Maps for Curious Minds: 100 New Ways to See the World by Ian Wright
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I LOVE MAPS!!! And I would dearly love to give this book 5 stars or even more, if that were possible. But, there are two things that knock this down from a 5 star rating: First of all the center of the two page fold goes across Russia, the Middle East, and eastern Africa and, unless I crack the spine of the library book, I can't see the data for the countries on either side of the center for about 5 mm. And secondly, there are some maps where the color choices are ridiculous, e.g., pp. 98 and 99. There is no reason that two of the four colors used are so similar that you can't tell them apart. They do NOT represent similar things, they shouldn't be so similar in color. See p. 136 for an example of all of the various colors available. That said, I still love this book. I love to study maps and think about the implications of the differences. Maybe I will have to buy my own copy, so I can open it up fully. That won't remedy the color problem, but I could at least see the full layout better.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment