Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Review: P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever

P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever by Raj Haldar
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When reading this book, I think you have to keep in mind who the target audience is, or rather, isn't. It ISN'T, in my opinion, young readers. They are too busy focusing on the immense task of learning to read words that are mostly predictable. This book is targeted to older readers, ones who can read proficiently and can be thoroughly amused at how weird reading English is. They can read well enough that they are proud to have overcome the challenges of this weird language, the language that runs rough-shod over all others, incorporating absurdities and inconsistencies galore - and then having the gall to change even those. I am even thinking that adults would find this hugely amusing, one adult in my family in particular.

That said, I am greatly disappointed at the omission of "llama". ONE of those ls is silent.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment