Thursday, February 7, 2019

Review: Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice

Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice by Stacy King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am not especially enamored of manga art work. The young girls are a bit TOO pretty and elaborately styled and the older people are a bit too excessively drawn for me. But this book, although it has all of the problems that manga has IME, still managed to appeal to me. In particular, I thought the artist did an exceptional job with the enigmatic Mr. Darcy. Less appealing - and purposely so, I suppose, were Mrs. Bennett and Mr. Collins, the latter being almost too clownish for the otherwise well-drawn characters. And, to credit the author, she does tell the original story, without digressions. Some details are obviously missing, but the story follows Austen's very well and, in a few instances, even manages to convey some of the emotions of the original story spot on. Elizabeth's indecision and change of heart was especially appealing. If you like manga, try this one. Interesting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment