Thursday, January 4, 2018

Review: The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone

The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone by Jaclyn Moriarty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wanted to like this one more than I actually did. I have read quite a few of Moriarty's books for teens and REALLY liked them, but this one seemed too self-consciously cute for me. The tone is very similar (for me) to the books by Kate DiCamillo. It is just a tad too precious. And the connections between all of the characters are tied up just a bit too neatly. That said, some of the characters were especially interesting and I would have enjoyed knowing more about them. This was true especially of the children on the ship - I am not sure what made them different, but they seemed more real to me.

DiCamillo's books are very highly regarded, though, so I would recommend this book to people who loved The Tale of Desperaux or The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment