Saturday, April 11, 2015

Review: Best Australian Political Cartoons 2013


Best Australian Political Cartoons 2013
Best Australian Political Cartoons 2013 by Russ Radcliffe

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I like getting to know a country through their books and through their humor. I have collected political cartoons from several countries, but I find that I can only really understand them if I know the language. Cartoons, in general, require not only the understanding of the language, but also a bit of understanding of cultural differences. I think this latter is what fascinates me about them. So, a bit reluctantly, I have limited my cartoon collection primarily to countries where I not only know the language, but also understand a bit of the culture, by virtue of travel there or study. The possible exception to this is that I have enjoyed the [b:Madam & Eve|6471236|Madam & Eve|S. Francis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1242373825s/6471236.jpg|278372] cartoons from South Africa.

This book is a bit less accessible to me. I have followed Australian politics a little - I have one Australian friend who is a Liberal and many who are on the Labor side - but I am not quite knowledgeable enough to get all of the nuances. Nonetheless, I have enjoyed puzzling over this collection. And when the plethora of scary and depressing books gets me down, at least there is something to laugh at when other countries are nearly as messed up as the United States.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment