Thursday, January 22, 2015

Review: Mrs. McCool and the Giant Cuhullin: An Irish Tale


Mrs. McCool and the Giant Cuhullin: An Irish Tale
Mrs. McCool and the Giant Cuhullin: An Irish Tale by Jessica Souhami

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I admit that I am not very knowledgeable about folk tales and this may well be an excellent example of an Irish folk tale, but it leaves me a bit uncomfortable. The first thing I wonder is why all these characters have magic in just one finger. Which leads me to wonder, which finger? Why the thumb or the little finger? Would kids think about magic in another finger that is typically used for expression in the US?

The second thing I wonder is why Finn is so clueless and so afraid. Sucking his thumb? It just doesn't make sense to me. I do think the wife is clever, but why do the men have to be depicted as being so easily duped and ineffectual.

And the solution, biting off the magic finger, strikes me as a bit gross and violent.

Yes, this is humorous, but I would not choose this book as a read aloud for young kids.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment