Thursday, November 6, 2014

Review: El Deafo


El Deafo
El Deafo by Cece Bell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Another good graphic novel. I wasn't terribly fond of the choice to illustrate the children as rabbits, but the rest of the book is really good. I admire the honest exposure of both the main character's feelings, but also the honest and varied reactions of other children (and some adults).

The only thing that puzzled me a bit was that the teacher didn't turn off the mike when she wasn't in the presence of the main character. I have worn mikes like this and even though I am a sub, I have been quickly instructed to turn it off when I wasn't talking about things that the student needed to hear, e.g., when I was directly helping another student.

I appreciate the discussion at the end of the book of deaf culture and the varied degree of acceptance of hearing aids and sign language.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment