Saturday, December 29, 2012

Review: The Youngest Girl in the Fifth


The Youngest Girl in the Fifth
The Youngest Girl in the Fifth by Angela Brazil

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This is a book from a much earlier era, where school girls actually tried to be moral and ethical and when it wasn't a subject of ridicule to try to be honest and work hard. I like that part about the book. On the other hand, the writing is saccharine and overbearingly descriptive in places.

But, since I am quite interested in books about schools, that aspect of the book was still worth reading for me. It was a time when competition for school prizes was about real scholarship, not just high scores on standardized achievement tests. And competition itself was not anathema to education. It was a time when being the best at school work was equally valued with being good at sports (at both of which the heroine was, a bit unrealistically, victorious).

I read the book on my Mac, on the program Kindle for the Mac - not my favorite reading place, but still OK.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment